English as a Second Language Program Coordinator
Saratoga County Economic Opportunity Council, Inc.
The English as a Second Language Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating all ESL activities, including classes and individual tutoring sessions for the Latino Community Advocacy Program, which works specifically with low-income Spanish-speaking immigrants in Saratoga County. The program focuses on ESL programming at the Saratoga Race Course backstretch.
Primary duties of this position are the development and administration of the program, volunteer outreach, recruitment and supervision. Minor duties include teaching.
This is a growing program, thus the coordinator will be expected to continue the development of the curriculum, evaluation and teaching resources. Classes are organized into small groups according to skill level and instruction is provided by volunteer ESL tutors.
Part-time position working at least 15 hours per week and offering $16.50 per hour. This is temporary position available now through October 31, 2019.
- Organizing and overseeing SCEOC’s English as a Second Language classes
- Recruit and coordinate volunteer ESL instructors
- Evaluate new student English skills and place them appropriately in instruction groups
- Maintain communication with volunteers and site coordinator regarding scheduling and space use
- Provide resource support to volunteer ESL tutors
- Developing curriculum, evaluation tools, and teaching materials
- Facilitate the expansion of ESL classes to new sites
- Referring students with advocacy needs to the LCAP Coordinator or Advocate
- Working with the LCAP coordinator to integrate resources/programming addressing advocacy needs with ESL classes. Assist in advocacy activities as needed
REQUIREMENTS – please send a letter of interest along with a resume
- Bachelor’s Degree, ESL Certification a plus.
- Applicants with other educational backgrounds and considerable teaching experience will also be considered.
- Flexible schedule for non-traditional working hours - some evenings are required. Must be available for Tuesday and Thursday evenings.
- Bilingual/ Bicultural - must have the ability to read, write, and communicate with high proficiency in both Spanish and English, as well as demonstrate an understanding of or ability to relate to Latino/Latin American cultures and heritage
- Supervisory experience as well as working with and coordinating volunteers.
- Above average organizational and communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with people of diverse social and economic backgrounds.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently.
- Must have a clean driver’s license and be insurable to operate agency vehicles.
SCEOC is a private, nonprofit community action agency serving Saratoga County. We are the designated anti-poverty agency, dedicated to providing and promoting opportunities for individuals and families to achieve self-sufficiency. We are an advocacy organization assisting families and individuals in developing solutions to promote healthy, thriving families and caring community partners. We provide services coordinated at our main office as well and in the county schools. Services include Head Start, WIC, Energy Services/Weatherization, Crisis Intervention, Latino Community Advocacy, Vita Tax Services, Food Pantry, and a Soup Kitchen.