Assistant TeacherSaratoga County Economic Opportunity Council, Inc.Job DescriptionThe Head Start Assistant Teacher works as a partner to the Lead Teacher in developing activities for preschool children to provide them with varied experiences and an appropriate learning environment. Works with typically developing children and children with disabilities. Assistance is given to the teacher in carrying out the goals, policies, and activities designed to implement educational objectives and performance standards. May be reassigned to various classrooms/centers as deemed necessary for program operations.
- Work as a team member with classroom staff and parents to implement curriculum that is meaningful and meets the individual and program needs.
- Assist with weekly preparation of daily lesson plans, including objectives to be posted for parents, volunteers and visitors in the classroom.
- Assist in developing an individual plan for each child to include goal setting based on identified needs and prescriptions for objectives and activities to meet established school readiness goals and outcome goals.
- Remain up-to-date on information that pertains to the needs of the children in the program including Head Start Performance Standards, child care licensing regulations and other applicable regulations and practices.
- Assist with completing mandated 45 day requirements and ongoing assessments.
- Assist with scheduling and arranges meetings, and documents parent-teacher conferences and home visits as required.
- Take charge in the class in the teacher’s absence.
- Assist Lead Early Childhood Teacher, Regional Center Base Coordinator and Region Managers with participating in any special events put on by Head Start
- Encourage parent involvement in Head Start and other EOC programs.
- Support social and emotional development and provides positive guidance and discipline. Assist with addressing any special needs questions and concerns.
REQUIREMENTS – please send cover letter along with a resume
- Must have an Associate’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or a CDA Credential (Child Development Associate). Enrollment in a CDA credential program completed within 2 years is acceptable.
- Experience working with young children in a daycare setting. May be required to lift up to 40 pounds.
- Basic computer skills including Word applications, data entry programs, word processing and email helpful.
- Must be willing to obtain and maintain Basic First Aid, CPR certification and MAT (Medication Administration Training) within the initial probationary period and maintain certification.
- Above average organizational and communication skills, ability to work as a member of a team, good interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain professionalism with staff and clientele. Ability to work under pressure and exercise good judgment. Ability to communicate effectively with people of diverse social and economic backgrounds.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and possess own vehicle.
- Acceptable tuberculosis screening results, clear criminal records check and initial health exam are required post job offer and prior to employment.
BENEFITS – position starts at $11.94 per hour
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Vacation, Paid Personal, Paid Sick Time
- Paid School Breaks
SCEOC is a private, nonprofit community action agency serving Saratoga County. We are the designated anti-poverty agency, dedicated to providing and promoting opportunities for individuals and families to achieve self-sufficiency. We are an advocacy organization assisting families and individuals in developing solutions to promote healthy, thriving families and caring community partners. We provide services coordinated at our main office as well and in the county schools. Services include Head Start, WIC, Energy Services/Weatherization, Crisis Intervention/Advocacy, Latino Community Advocacy, Vita Tax Services, Food Pantry, Mobile Food Pantry and a Soup Kitchen.
Upcoming Chamber EventsView All Events »